Fire destroys a garage near Chapin

A garage in the 400 block of Jake Meetze Road outside of Chapin was destroyed by fire Tuesday afternoon. Lexington County firefighters were assisted in extinguishing the blaze by personnel and equipment from the Irmo Fire District, the Columbia-Richland Fire Department, and Newberry County.

The first arriving Lexington County Fire Service crews reported finding a garage that had completely burned to the ground before they arrived. As others poured water on the burning debris, the crews protected any nearby exposures. The fire was put out in a matter of minutes.

Lexington County has not released any additional information about the fire, including whether any other structures or vehicles were damaged. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.