West Columbia’s Kinetic Derby Day, featuring iMAGINE STEam Festival, is April 22.
The 4th annual free festival is seeking volunteers and parade participants to complete the planning of the event. Join in and get all the details at www.kineticderbyday.com. Registration for soapbox entries closes on April 17 at noon.
Schedule of Events
10 am – The Kinetic Sculpture Parade kicks off a day full of fun. Register until April 17. This year’s parade is 80s themed. Throw on your 80s fashions and ride a bike or create an 80s sculpture to ride or pull.
10:30 am – 11 am – Kids’ Zone opens and the chalk artists begin. Soapbox racing begins by 11 am.
12:30 pm – The track changes . . . new this year with obstacles and ramps. Start on the Whetzel’s Automotive push ramp, slide through First Community Bank’s green Jell-O Explosion, hit Savage Craft’s Foam Surprise, get soaked by PASCO’s Water Works, and end up in the COVID corn/grits.
While waiting on the track to change, enjoy the chalk artists creating on the corner of Meeting and State, the Meeting Street Artisan Market, shop in the local stores, eat in local restaurants and food trucks, or take a ride on Brookland’s Giant Slide on the corner of State and Meeting Streets. The city has partnered with iMAGINE STEam Festival to bring a hands-on STEam Festival to State Street.
1 pm – 2 pm – The Obstacle Course. Participants will be able to test their builds and get dirty with the new obstacles, pedal-powered cars, and ramps. This is a single-car, timed event.
2:30 pm – Awards Ceremony on Savage Craft Ale Works’ Stage and stay for the after party.
Events are held on State and Meeting Streets
- Free Public Parking Garage – 310 Court Avenue
- River District Baptist Church – 400 State Street
- The Warehouse – 312 State Street
- Interactive Art Park – 425 Meeting Street
- Carraway Park – 212 Hudson Street
- Capitol Square – 483 Sunset Boulevard
Kinetic Derby Day will feature iMAGINE Dynamic Kids After School & Summer Camp Kinetic Sculpture Parade
- House of Raeford Start Line
- TNT Martial Arts & Fitness Finish Line
- First Community Bank’s Jell-O Explosion
- Savage Craft Ale Works’ Foam Surprise
- Pasco’s Water Works
Brookland SC Giant Slide for Adults and Kids
Aflac iMAGINE STEam Festival on State Street
- Columbia Art Center
- Haering Precision
- Lexington Technology Center
- Claflin University-Mathematics & Computer Science Department
- South Carolina Military Museum
- Midlands Education and Business
- Alliance (MEBA)
- FIRST South Carolina
- South Carolina Artists
- Girls Who Code
- FIRST SC
- Vision Builder Adventures
- Million Women Mentors – SC
- The Children’s Museum of the Upstate
- SC Energy Office – Office of Regulatory Staff
- Code Ninjas Lexington
- STEM For Kids
- Pittsburgh Institution of Aeronautics
- Girl Scouts Troop 3395
- Look for the Power LL
- Tesla – Including 2 Self-Driving Test Cars
- The Blissful Hippie
- Alpha Omega Epsilon
- Mathnasium of Lexington
Meeting Street Artisan Market
- 22 Memory Lane LLC
- B.MAC Bakeshop
- Benji Hicks Art
- Blu Jim Fine Art
- Brickhouse Gourmet Coffee and Tea
- Bully Bowtique
- Cindy’s Turn
- Colleen Doodles
- Cute Country Coasters
- Emerald’s Artistry
- Faithful Foods Inc.
- Fired Up Custom Leather Works
- Found & Altered
- Gee Your Dog Smells Terrific
- Kristin Holzer Art
- Maman Afrique Boutique
- Mrs. K’s Kreations
- One Tribe Designs
- Sealine Soap Company
- Sudsy Dreams
- Tails & Trails Treatery LLC
- The Hope Chest
- Tickled Pink Jewelry
- Tiny Folds Origami
- You Grow Girl, SC. LLC
Chalk Artists sponsored by Cayce’s Best After School & Summer Camp
- Michael Krajewski
- Kristin Holzer
- Kate Batten
- Alan Pearsall
Boys & Girls Club of the Midlands Kids’ Zone
- Kids Soapbox Racing – Traditional soapbox racing returns to take over Meeting and State Streets. Kids that are too young to compete can still participate in the Kids’ Zone with an American Soapbox car.
- Inflatable Obstacle Course – Kids can also have fun with an inflatable obstacle course.
- STEam Crafts – Whether you want to paint a car to take home or learn how steering and axles work, there will be plenty of hands-on activities.
- Dunking Booth – Enjoy dunking some of the Boys & Girls Club’s finest in the first-ever dunking booth at Kinetic Derby Day.
Festival sponsors and partners
House of Raeford – Start Line
TNT Martial Arts & Fitness – Finish Line
Aflac – iMAGINE STEam Festival
Brookland SC – Fun Slide
Cayce’s Best After School & Summer Camp – Chalk Art
Dynamite Kids After School & Summer Camp – Kinetic Sculpture Parade
NAI Columbia – Cash Prize
The Sourcing Group – Mailer Marketing
First Community Bank – Jell-O Explosion Obstacle
PASCO – Palmetto Automatic Sprinkler Company – Water Works Obstacle
Savage Craft Ale Works – Foam Surprise Obstacle
The Carolina Law Group – Stage
The Graphics Source – Signs
Security Federal Bank – Pit Crew
Pedego Electric Bikes – West Columbia – Community Pride
Professional Printers – Printing
Whetzel’s Automotive – Push Ramp
Something Borrowed Wedding & Party Rentals – Tent
Thompson Funeral Homes – Community Pride Sponsor
Hood Construction – Community Pride Sponsor
Brookland United Methodist Church
Boys & Girls Club – Kids’ Zone
McAlister Smith Funeral & Cremation
River District Baptist Church
WXRY 99.3 FM – Columbia’s Independent Alternative
Giles Brothers Insurance
Faithful Marketing & Events
Registration for racing, the kinetic sculpture parade, iMAGINE STEam Festival, and volunteers are open at www.kineticderbyday.com.
Sign up to volunteer at https://signup.com/go/YyNHpnB.